As part of a study of nearly 10,000 visitors to the biggest e-retail websites in the United States (determined by revenue, according to Internet Retailer), Foresee Results used the methodology of the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI) to examine how mobile shopping trends during the holiday season could have year-long implications. The ACSI is able to show how customers’ satisfaction with mobile websites and applications impacts their future purchase intent, loyalty, and recommendations across all channels.
Below is an infographic that illustrates consumers’ use of mobile phones to access retail sites:
Key findings of the report include:
- Shoppers are using mobile phones to access websites and apps more than ever before. 33% of respondents have used their phone to access a retailer website, and an additional 26% indicated they plan to access retailer websites or mobile apps by phone in the future.
- Mobile purchase behavior is exploding. A total of 11% of web shoppers reported having made a purchase from their phones this holiday season, compared to only 2% at this time last year.
- Shoppers use their phones for a variety of tasks. The majority of shoppers who used their phones did so to compare price information (56%). Shoppers also used their phones to compare different products (46%), to look up product specifications (35%), and to view product reviews (27%).
- Shoppers use their phones to look at competitor websites. While in physical stores, more than two-thirds of mobile shoppers (69%) used their phones to visit the store’s own website, but nearly half (46%) also used their phones to access a competitor’s website.
- Good experiences with mobile sites and apps have critical cross-channel impact. Shoppers who are highly satisfied with a mobile experience say they are 30% more likely to buy from that retailer online and 30% more likely to buy offline, as well as being far more likely to return to the main website, recommend it, and be loyal to the brand.
You can download the report here: http://www.foreseeresults.com/research-white-papers/explosion-in-mobile-retail-form-2010.shtml