I am a financial analyst by no means but I do visit the Google and Yahoo finance sites from time to time to check out stock prices, latest dealings by a company and financial company information. Yesterday I was doing a quick comparison between Google and Yahoo Finance and found Google Finance to be my preference. Here are my top 8 reasons why I like Google Finance over Yahoo Finance.
1) There are no graphical ads on Google Finance. Immediately when you arrive on the Yahoo Finance home page your eyes focus towards the bright advertisements for eTrade, AmeriTrade, etc… When I scroll further down I see a large square ad for Pillsbury brownies (as delicious as the brownies might be, the ad takes away from the page).
2) In Google Finance the most important data is displayed prominently. The current stock value and graph showing today’s movement are the focus.
3) Google Finance’s AJAX based chart is quick, simple and intuitive.
4) Google Finance’s incorporation of the latest blog posts regarding the company. It’s very interesting to read about the hottest topics from bloggers’ perspective.
5) I enjoy reading about different company’s executive teams (esp. their earnings) and it’s nice that Google finance makes that available right on the home page.
6) Also available from the home page are a given company’s financials: net income, profit, operating income, revenue, etc…
7) The ability to scroll through a company’s latest news without refreshing the page.
8) Google makes its search box big and bold, while Yahoo’s is small and tucked away. Yahoo’s web search is actually more prominent than their finance search.