How do I write a Job Description for a SEO specialist?
Search Engine Optimization “SEO ” is a much used term however without a realistic job description that clearly sets out your expectations in this fast changing enviromnent you may run the risk of hiring someone with an “out of date” skill set and approach.
We would say that the role of the SEO manager has developed hugely since the early days of the internet.
SEO was established in the early days. As soon as there was content on the web it needed to be found – as quickly and efficiently as possible – and so website optimization developed and along came the seo specialist
The best candidates and jobs are now strategic as well as technical and analytic…… A big challenge that deserves some big personal performances. In fact it makes you wonder if the simple term “SEO” does the job justice any more?
As the internet has grown in size and sophistication so has the role of the SEO expert. In the early days it tended to be very on-site focussed e.g. :-
- Key word research
- Sitemap building and submit
- Original material and content
- Make the architecture search friendly
… then simply impress your client or boss with some top rankings on your chosen kewords and phrases…
Typical SEO job salaries
Search for SEO jobs and salaries below
How has the SEO job changed?
We would argue that it has changed enormously
- Every page on a site should have a defined purpose
- Digital PR and inbound link strategies
- User interaction and user generated and social comment
- Geographical targeting and geo search
- Off site high quality back link building
- Use of tools for measuring and comparison becoming more plentiful and useful
- Personalization of internet use and non standard search results
- Diversity of media and the technical implications of this e.g video, blended search, social search, mobile
How do you measure success when results and internet experience is personalized to the point where no two users even see the same screens and results?
Challenging times and yet exciting job prospects for those SEO experts prepared to take the holistic approach and embrace the wider issues.
Sample job description for SEO manager
Some ideas to include in your SEO JD
- Ensure that all websites and internet properties under your influence have been technically optimized to attract and engage those visitors that closely match the agreed profile of the target audience
- Create the necessary technical architecture
- Build systems and protocols internally that ensure all content is optimized across all platforms and user experiences (websites, mobile, social, video, blogs, retail portals etc)
- Help set, and work to, performance indicators for SEO that everyone understands and which complement overall marketing and business objectives
- Promote both offsite and onsite activities and also the interactions that build ranking, profile and traffic
Job seekers: Use the “More Jobs” link in the job box to the right
Employers: To place a Job Advert click “Post a Job” in the link to the right