What does a Web Application Developer do?
Website users are becoming increasingly sophisticated and their expectations of how website and mobile apps perform seem to be growing exponentially.
Functionality, speed, “fun to use”, ease of sharing, security and so on are just some of the key requirements that a web application developer must consider at the outset.
Understanding the needs of users and the user community is important but not in isolation of the requirements and objectives of the owners of the web/mobile property.
At the outset, the lead application developer must ensure that:
- Risk: Is risk being assessed and managed in context : e.g. the risks involved in a commercial trading site holding personal details will obviously be higher than a simple corporate “brochure” type site.
- Project Methodologies: Are the appropriate project methodologies being deployed? e.g. balancing risk, complexity, cost and speed to market.
- Testing: Obviously all software applications undergo testing however the incredible variety and variation in user interaction associated with website and mobile apps means that security, accessibility, cross-browser considerations, peak stress usage etc must also be considered.
Web Application Developer desired experience
Internet Application Developers will grow their range of programming skills and experience over time.
Like any good professional they will continue to develop not just the “hard skills” but also their “soft skills” and ability to work effectively in team environments, (or indeed to lead a team).
When preparing a job specification for a Web Application Developer an employer will of course already have a good idea of the particular technical skills required and advertise accordingly however the “soft skills” should always be considered because effective communication between all members of a team is essential.
A range of programming & scripting languagues are detailed below. Depending on your underlying technology/platform and your development plans, different combinations of some of the skills below may be required
- Java EE
- Real Studio
- Ruby, including Ruby on Rails
- Unix tools
- XML parsing and XSL transformation tools
Job seekers: Use the “Search” link in the job box to the right
Employers: To place a Job Advert click “Post a Job” in the job box to the right